26 Aug 2006

A book meme

Thanks Ann for tagging me.

1. One book that changed your life?

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.
I first read this when I was not much older than Charlotte when we first meet her. I can still imagine her terror in the 'red room' and the first time I ever cried while reading, was when her friend dies beside her at Lowood School. It was the first time I really felt the magic of escaping into another world.
I had to read it a few more times to appreciate the choice of a small, plain and poor heroine, who knows her mind and carves her own path.

2. One book you have read more than once?
* by Jane Austen!

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
The complete works of William Shakespeare, should keep me going 'til my rescuers arrive.

4. One book that made you cry?
Most recently, Memoir, by John McGahern.

5. One book that made you laugh?
Oh, right...well I've read a fair few of Marian Keyes books and they're all funny, smart and a great escapist read, even the one about a recovering drug addict. So lets say, Watermelon.

6. One book you wish had been written?
I can't answer this question.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
The Contented Little Baby Book, by Gina Ford.
So sue me!

8. One book you are currently reading?
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. (I got a box of 'banned' books for Christmas and am working my way through them.)

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James; I started this about 5 times but keep putting it down in favour of something easier.

I'm tagging Amanda, Autiemom, Esther, Kristina and Hazel.
So if you fancy it, I'd love to read about your choices.

4 comments:

kristina said...

I adore Jane Austen----how many times have I read Persuasion! I'll be blogging soon----also love books, for sure.

Sharon McDaid said...

Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen novel too, which means it's a contender for my favourite book.

Anonymous said...

If I ever, ever, even come down from this feeling of being totally overwhelmed and overloaded, I will try to do this.

I used to like "back to school" time. I think that was before I had to deal with special ed.

I wish this meme were about movies or something.

ballastexistenz said...

I'm working on a reply, but likewise very busy and tired.