14 Sept 2009

Thomas reassured

"What is the most important thing in your life?" Thomas asked earnestly, a mode he often adopts.
I didn't have to think about that one. "My family, all of you."
"Well, the most important thing to me is to live with someone," said the child whom I know hates the idea of being alone. But then, who at 7 can contemplate solitude. "If you all died I would probably go and live with B. and S. [my brother and sister in law]. That is, if I can find their phone number."
"If something as awful and unlikely as that were to happen, then there are so many people who love you and they would come to you and help to care for you. Your Granda and Grandma and all your aunts and uncles would help you and make sure you were safe."
"Oh, OK," said he and we hugged.

3 comments:

Heike Fabig said...

I think you better tell the boy that they have his phone number. Sweet eh? My kids worry about these things to, and i find it both sad and sweet....

Grannymar said...

Simple answers are the most reassuring!

I miss the questions. :(

Elfinamsterdam said...

Oh my!
That caught my heart - the little gorgeous angel.

We discuss this every now and then, I think as my nephew's mom and dad have separated he worries abotu such things.

But I remember praying that if my mum died I would too, the idea of having to live with any of the rest of my realities was just terrifying.