26 Jun 2006

Birthday resolutions

It was my birthday yesterday. I had a lie in while breakfast was cooked, then we spent a relaxed day at home. Lady had drawn a beautiful card with a picture of her and me inside, and a mole wearing a miner's hat in a cave under us! Gordon baked a cake, his first ever, and very nice it was too. Duncan was anxious to try it. We gathered and sang happy birthday to me! Duncan covered his ears and with a very serious expression on his face, sang it as fast as he could. It was obvious that he considered the song a silly impediment to cake eating that had to be dealt with as quickly as possible!

Gordon had bought me a DVD of Curb your Enthusiasm; yeah! It's the funniest, most painful thing I've watched for years, and I've only seen a few episodes, so I'm looking forward to watching the whole first series.

In the evening, Gordon brought his Mum over and she stayed with the children (who were still all awake when we left) while we went out and enjoyed a great meal at a Malaysian restaurant.

I'd been pensive and low for a few days previously, and I went out for a run on Saturday evening to get some peace and think. I realised that I'm a bit lonely. I need more women friends. I want to travel more. I need to go out and dance more. So, I'm going to sort out a trip to New York to see my best friend from school days, while Gordon stays with the children. My Dad has also agreed to mind the children for 24 hours so I can go with Gordon to Dublin this Friday night. And I'm going to look for a dance class I can join, preferably Salsa! I've been so concerned with day to day stuff, that I forgot to enjoy some of the other things I have always enjoyed.
Oh I do like to have a plan!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely night out last night. Don't forget to book a flight to see your favourite (and only) sister in all this new planning. Hugs and kisses to all xx

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel----my birthday always passes me by whereas it's a minor military campaign, the way we plan for Charlie's.

Envy you the Malaysian food!

I think we often forget that, as full-time caregivers, we need to take care of ourselves, in ways small and large.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday dear Sharon!!!!!
Happy Birthday to you!

Horray!
Its Sams 11th birthday tomorrow. And my 30th (!*!*!*!*!) this year.

Sharon McDaid said...

Thanks all of you.
Don't you worry sis, a few trips to London feature in my plan
I was 35 Hazel. And now that you've sung so well, you can have a nice piece of cake...oh whoops...there's none left!
Happy birthday to Sam too! He's surely going to be the youngest in his class when he goes back to school in September.
Kristina, I don't want to end up holding other people responsible for things I have control over. The serenity prayer says it all.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday for yesterday Sharon. The trip sounds great. I a m truly jealous. I can't get to the shops without a royal appointment.lol Oh and I LOVE Dublin.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sharon! Salsa dancing sounds terrific!!

And I totally understand the lonely issue. Join the club, mate!

Esther

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I can understand being lonely I find it worse in winter. Going out/getting a break is so important.

Anonymous said...

Belated Birthday Greetings!

Alex also covered his ears (still does) for the Happy Birthday song. He often bolts from the room if he can. He's done this since he was about 6. He also did it with another song he heard often - the national anthem played every morning at school up to grade 9. My theory was he had an "internal track" of these well known songs that started playing when he heard the first notes of the song and it didn't match the external track that was playing so he blocked out the external version and listened to his internal one. We don't sing Happy Birthday to Alex...

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday (I promise not to sing to you tomorrow ;-)) - and uh, you've been tagged over at mine :-)